Today is Bell Let’s Talk Day – for every text, mobile and long distance call made on the Bell network, tweet using #BellLetsTalk, social media video view, or use of the Facebook or Snapchat filter, Bell will contribute 5 cents more to Canadian mental health programs.
5 simple ways to end stigma and start a conversation about mental illness:
1) Language matters – pay attention to the words you use about mental illness
2) Educate yourself – learn, know and talk more, understand the signs
3) Be kind – small acts of kindness speak a lot
4) Listen and ask – sometimes it’s best to just listen
5) Talk about it – start a dialogue, break the silence
For more information and resources to continue the conversation, check out bell.ca/letstalk
And remember: Columbia College counsellors are available in Student Services to assist you with mental health support, information and resources.